Chocolate French Toast
8 1-inch slices of challah,
cut on a diagonal from an unsliced challah
8-10 oz chocolate chips
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/3 cups milk
1 1/4 tsp vanilla
3/4 tsp cinnamon
Pinch of salt
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup confectioners sugar
1. Cut a pocket into the center of each of the challah slices with a sharp serrated knife, to within 1/4-inch of the crust.
2. Place challah in a single layer in a 9x13 baking dish (sprayed with cooking spray).
3. Stuff each challah pocket with spoonfuls of chocolate chips, forming a thin layer inside.
4. In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon and salt. Pour mixture over challah. Soak for about 20 minutes. Turn over, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until liquid is absorbed (at least 2 hours or overnight).
5. Allow dish 30 minutes to come to room temperature before baking. Drizzle melted butter over top of challah. Preheat oven to 425 degrees and bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Dust with confectioners sugar.