Pineapple Upside Down Cake
(Adapted from Gourmet)
1/2 medium pineapple, peeled, quartered lengthwise, and cored
3/4 stick unsalted butter
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 to 3 tsps ground cardamom
2 tsps baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp dark rum
1/2 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
2 Tbsp dark rum for sprinkling over cake
1. Cut pineapple crosswise into 3/8-inch- thick pieces.
2. Melt butter in skillet. Add brown sugar and simmer over moderate heat, stirring, 4 minutes. Remove from heat.
3.Arrange pineapple on top of sugar mixture in concentric circles, overlapping pieces slightly.
1. Sift together first four ingredients.
2. Beat butter in a large bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla and rum.
3. Add half of flour mixture and beat on low speed just until blended. Beat in pineapple juice, then add remaining flour mixture, beating just until blended.
4. Spoon batter over pineapple topping and spread evenly. Pour into 12-inch skillet and bake in middle of oven until golden and a tester comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Let cake stand in skillet 5 minutes. Sprinkle rum over cake and cool on plate on a rack.