“Much spirit is being shown by the girls’ clubs which have begun the season with rehearsing of functions both for the Jewish Educational Alliance and outside agencies,” the article says. “The Bluejays Club of the Senior group, under the direction of Miss Rebecca Melnicoff, are rehearsing a musical comedy which they expect to present in the Alliance Auditorium after the holidays.”
Meanwhile, the Merry Maids Club was rehearsing “The Magic Sword,” while the basketball teams were preparing for the new season, as the Monstelle and Standard Clubs tied in the baseball tournament. Handicrafts classes were set to begin, with a children’s party to mark the opening of the sewing class.
The Jewish Educational Alliance was formed in 1909, when the Daughters in Israel and the Maccabeans merged. The organization was a social, recreational, vocational, educational and social services facility for Jewish youth and adults concentrated in East Baltimore offering sports, clubs and dances for young men and women and concerts and classes for adults. It was first housed in the 1100 block of E. Baltimore St. and moved to 1216 E. Baltimore St. in 1913. In 1952, the organization merged with the YMHA, YWHA and Camp Woodlands as the new Jewish Community Center.
Former members of the JEA still meet as the Jewish Educational Alliance Fellowship Association. This year marks the 110th anniversary of the founding of the JEA. The group is holding its annual reunion brunch Aug. 25 at the Park Heights JCC from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. This year’s honorees are Louis Seidel and Bucky Margolis. For more information call Jerome Sefret at 410-653-9362.
Flashback is a feature that honors the JT’s 100th anniversary. Have a particular date you’d like us to look at? Let us know.